Ask Amy: I read that you are using Joico Clinicure to help with hairloss, can you tell us more about the product? – Melissa, Arlington, VA
Amy Says: Hair loss is a symptom of PCOS that can often be the most frustrating to deal with. I struggled with hair loss after coming off the birth control pill and then after three pregnancies and post-partums. I shared my coping strategies in two previous posts about PCOS and Hairloss “What Works for Me” and “Make the Most of What You’ve Got.”
I did post back in July that I was going to try a product called Clinicure by Joico and am happy to provide this update to those blog posts. My hair stylist, Maria Rawlings at Marc Anthony Salon in Nashua,NH, knows that I am always on the hunt for the next best hair product for fine thinning hair, so I can share the info on PCOS Diva. This past spring, Maria was excited to tell me about a product that she has been recommending to clients with thinning hair. She had heard good things about it by her peers. Maria told me she was amazed that every client that began using it, had noticeable hair growth 8 weeks after they began using the product and her clients all noticed their hair loss subside as well.
It sounded too good to be true! I had to see for myself. So in July, I purchased a “starter kit” of Joico Clinicure for Chemically Treated Hair (since I color my hair.) The trial kit contains a Purifying Scalp Cleanse trial size shampoo, Balancing Scalp Nourish conditioner and Advanced Thinning Rescue treatment. For those women who don’t color their hair, there is also a Natural Kit .
I am thrilled to say that I have seen a big difference in the amount of new hair that is growing. And when I went to see Maria last month, I asked her if she saw any new growth. She confirmed that the new growth looks to be about 14-16 weeks old (I started using the product in July). I have also noticed a big difference in the amount of hair that I am losing however, shedding season is over and the real test will be next summer.
According to the product literature from the Joico.con the Clinicure products help to reduce DHT on the scalp.
This is how it works – Androgen hormones produced by the ovaries and adrenals are transported to the hair follicle. In the hair follicle the enzyme 5-alpha reductase converts these androgens into Dihydrotestosterone (5α-Dihydrotestosterone, commonly abbreviated to DHT)DHT is an androgen or male sex hormone and is the primary contributing factor in androgenic alopecia which is the type of hairloss most associated with PCOS. DHT inhibits hair growth by cumulatively over time penetrating the hair follicles, binding to hormone receptors, and building up on the scalp. After continued exposure to DHT, follicles begin to miniaturize, shortening the lifespan of each hair follicle affected.
According to Joico’s product literature their system helps by:
- cleansing the scalp of sebum and DHT with botanical 5-alpha reductase enzyme inhibitors.
- neutralizing environmental pollutants that can weaken or damage the scalp and hair follicles.
- providing essential nutrients to the scalp and hair follicles.
- increasing the microcirculation of the scalp to prepare it for targeted treatment.
- strengthening and maintaining existing hair.
Here are the four products that I am using:
STEP 1: Purifying Scalp Cleanse (Shampoo) (versions for chemically treated or natural)
Purpose: to cleanse the scalp of DHT and environmental residue that can contribute to hair loss, creating an optimal scalp environment for healthier, thicker-looking hair.
• biotin, vitamin B6 + nettle nourish the scalp and remove DHT
• antioxidant vitamin A, vitamin E + ginkgo biloba neutralize damaging free radicals
• invigorating balm mint + hops cool, soothe, and improve the condition of the scalp
STEP 2: Balancing Scalp Nourish (Conditioner) (versions for chemically treated or natural)
Purpose: to nourish, balance and protect the scalp, creating an optimal scalp environment for healthier, thicker-looking hair.
• sunflower oil, rosemary oil + ivy extract intensely moisturize the scalp and hair and protect both from damaging environmental aggressors
• ginseng + hops nourish and improve the condition of the scalp
STEP 3: Stimulating Scalp Treat (Treatment) (versions for chemically treated or natural)
Purpose: to accelerate scalp respiration, nourish hair follicles,
and remove DHT and environmental residue buildup from the scalp, creating an optimal scalp environment for healthier, thicker-looking hair.
• biotin + vitamin B6 nourish the scalp and prevent DHT
• nettle + ivy extract boost scalp circulation, increasing oxygen and nutrient flow to hair follicles
• vitamin A, vitamin E + ginkgo biloba protect the scalp against damaging free radicals
STEP 4: Advanced Thinning Rescue (Treatment)
Purpose: to rescue hair in advanced stages of thinning by increasing the oxygen supply to the scalp and delivering a megadose of nutrients to the hair follicles, creating an optimal scalp environment for healthier, thicker-looking hair. Over time, RESCUE is clinically proven to decrease the number of hairs in the telogen phase and increase the number of hairs in the anagen phase, resulting in fuller, thicker-looking hair.
• densiox, a patented hair rejuvenating complex, nourishes and stimulates each follicle at its growth center
• nettle, biotin, coix extract, licorice root extract + vitamin A boost scalp circulation, prevent DHT, and protect the scalp against damaging free radicals
- Clinicure also offers a vitamin supplement which I am not taking.
For more information about these products read the Clinicure FAQ.
If you decide to try Clinicure please post results in the comments section below for reference for other readers. Thanks!