Why try a DIY castor oil pack? It’s a natural solution that’s been trusted for thousands of years.
Castor oil is a nonvolatile fatty acid that comes from the seeds of the castor bean. It is known primarily as a strong laxative, but there are many properties of the castor bean that can be beneficial when utilized topically such as in a castor oil pack. These benefits include using it as a balm for skin problems, a soothing tonic for alleviating allergies, and aiding in hair growth and as a moisturizer.
Even though there is not a lot of research behind castor oil compresses, they have been used successfully for centuries in many cultures. They do not treat or cure any disease, but I have found the benefit of using these compresses in conjunction with other therapies to help alleviate certain symptoms.
The FDA labels castor oil as “generally regarded as safe.” However, it should be taken internally with caution. The recommended dose internally is up to a tablespoon per day, but at any dose it can cause extreme digestive upset in people.
How Does Castor Oil Work?
The main therapeutic affects come from the high levels of the triglyceride ricinoleic acid. Observational studies have shown that the central component of ricinoleic acid exerts significant analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects along with being able to prevent the growth of numerous species of viruses, bacteria, yeasts, and molds.
Castor oil packs are soothing, cleansing, and nutritive treatment that have many benefits. The benefits occur because it is an anti-inflammatory and improves lymphatic circulation. Through these benefits, it helps with detoxification and enhancement of the immune system. It also helps to support uterine and ovarian health. On top of that, it acts as a skin emollient and softener.
Castor oil packs utilize heat to stimulate further lymph, liver function, and to promote blood flow and healing. The healing powers of castor oil pack is an excellent option to help with many different concerns including:
And it can be used to target specific organs.
- Use on the upper right side of the abdomen to help with liver and gallbladder congestion.
- Use on the whole stomach to stimulate all organs, especially the digestive system.
- On lower abdomen to help with menstrual problems, fibroids, and uterine cysts
- On scalp to help with hair growth (do not need to use heat for this)
- On skin to pull out impurities and help with skin conditions. Can be used for skin dryness, acne, rashes, hives, fungus, infections, boils, age spots, warts. Apply the castor oil directly to the skin three times a day.
- Put on strained joints or muscles. Use it as castor oil pack with heat, or put it directly on the area and wrap with an ace bandage. Refresh the castor oil every 24 hours.
There don’t seem to be any significant adverse effects with castor oil, but there are some contraindications and recommendations.
- Do not use castor oil if you are pregnant
- Do no use if there is internal bleeding
- Be cautious if you are experiencing heavy menstrual flow
- Test castor oil on a small patch of skin before using it on a large scale
- Castor Oil stains! Be careful of your clothes, bedding, furniture, etc. when applying packs.
Your Castor Oil Source Is Important
It is important to get a pure castor oil that was not derived from castor oil beans that were poorly grown or with pesticides. It should be cold pressed, without hexane, and 100% pesticide-free. It should also come in a glass bottle since castor oil is a carrier agent and can easily transfer endocrine disrupting chemicals form the plastic bottle into your body.
DIY Castor Oil Pack Instructions
Avoid the mess and hassle with this kit ready to go from Queen Of Thrones. I love this kit because it is CLEAN and EASY! There is no leakage, staining, or fuss. I also very much trust the source.
Do you prefer to DIY? Here’s how to make your own Castor Oil Pack:
- Unbleached and dye free wool or flannel cloth (organic, if possible)
- Quality castor oil
- Hot Water Bottle or Heating Pad
- Glass Container with Lid (I use a mason jar.) to store flannels between uses
- Prepare a comfortable space where you can relax for up 20-60 minutes. Be sure to protect any fabric surfaces.
2. Prepare your flannel. You want about 3 layers of flannel about 8”x11”. The size will depend upon where you are applying the pack. You can fold the material or cut it into 3 rectangles and stack them.
3. Soak your flannel. You want the flannel to be saturated, but not dripping. Try adding a couple tablespoons at a time and watching for consistent coverage. You can do this in your mason jar and leave it overnight to get nice even coverage too.
4. Apply a few drops of essential oil to the flannel.
5. Apply the flannel to the spot you are targeting. Lay the water bottle or heating pad on top of the flannel.
6. Relax. Meditate. Breathe.
7. Return the flannel to the glass container.
8. Gently wash the area of application.
9. Repeat 3-5 times a week.
When you’re ready to start healing with castor oil, I have teamed up with Dr. Marisol at Queen of Thrones for a special offer for you, it’s only available from the 18th of August and ends midnight of the 28th
Why Queen of Thrones’s castor oil?
I trust her quality. With something like castor oil, this really, really matters. Castor oil absorbs the chemicals in plastic and then brings them into your body. These chemicals are problematic for your hormones because they are endocrine disruptors. It’s not only BPA that you need to worry about. There are slip agents and UV filters in these bottles too. Please, for the sake of your health, only use certified organic, cold-pressed, hexane-free, extra virgin castor oil in a glass bottle.
When you purchase a Castor Oil Pack Bundle + Beauty Sleep Eye Kit… You get a FREE bottle of Eau de Throne!
Eau de Throne is an After you Poo Parfum, the all-natural and organic bathroom deodorizer spray. It disinfects the air, smells absolutely DIVINE and teaches you to peek after you poo! Plus, it contains organic essential oils that calm the body and provide antioxidants.
Click here and follow the instructions below to claim your BONUS! Sorry no rain checks, once it’s gone, it’s gone!
HOW TO CLAIM YOUR BONUS:
- Place your Castor Oil Pack Bundle into your cart
- Place your Beauty Sleep Eye Kit into your cart
- Place a bottle of EAU DE THRONE into your cart *make sure you DON’T SKIP this step, otherwise you won’t be eligible for the complimentary bottle
- At checkout, before paying, enter discount code “DIVA2” to receive the bottle of Eau de Throne for free
One coupon per order. No rain checks. Only while supplies last.
*Please note we are unable to modify orders once they have been placed, so make sure to carefully follow all of the steps above before paying.
Amy Medling, best-selling author of Healing PCOS and certified health coach, specializes in working with women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), who are frustrated and have lost all hope when the only solution their doctors offer is to lose weight, take a pill, and live with their symptoms. In response, Amy founded PCOS Diva and developed a proven protocol of supplements, diet, and lifestyle programs that offer women tools to help gain control of their PCOS and regain their fertility, femininity, health, and happiness.